Friday, October 19, 2012

Please, Leave Me Alone!


I look up, not a bit pleased to be interrupted in my internal monologue and definitely not in the mood for company.

No, I’d rather be left alone, I was about to say, but he is already in, closing the door behind him.  He plops down on the seat right across from me and gives me a big, friendly smile.  I can’t help but notice that his barber must have been drunk when he gave him the haircut.

I think I’m going to get some air, I mutter standing up, open the sliding door and walk into the hallway.

Good idea!  I’ll join you! He responds cheerfully, this time not even asking permission, and follows right behind.  I look at him, wondering as to the best way to spell out a subtle social cue, like STAY AWAY FROM ME!  So, I turn around and return to my seat without a word.   He is undaunted by my rudeness and back in his seat across from mine. We do this silent inside-outside compartment dance – I scowling, he smiling – several times until I finally stop.  I am not sure whether I am more irritated by the man with a bad haircut or the God who orchestrated the whole scenario, impervious to my personal preferences, likes and dislikes.
The man eventually catches up with me in the hallway and starts telling me his entire life story.  Been there, done that, need this, need that, need more money.  More money would solve all his problems and he would live happily ever after.  I just stand there and listen, unsure of what I am supposed to do.  Finally he moves on to village gossip and several picturesque characters’ life stories and concludes with the richest guy in the village. Has cars.  Has tractors.  Has houses.  Has this.  Has that. Has… has… has… Every Friday he drinks himself into oblivion and remains drunk the rest of the weekend. Then Monday comes and he is back at work, nursing a hangover headache…

Well, I finally interrupt his monologue, stating what I see as quite obvious, It sure doesn’t sound like your rich friend has found the answer either…

The guy looks at me as if I have just discovered America all over again.

But, if riches are not the answer, he begs, then what is?!!!

No comments: