Sunday, April 08, 2012

Need a Doc?

It took us only less than five minutes drive from our house to get to experience a total cross-cultural immersion. It pounced on us unsuspectingly out of the one of those birthday party invitations. The parties I drag my feet to, bracing myself for the impact of the mind-numbing conversations, the obscene level of materialism shoved down our children’s throats, hurrying them to grow up faster and faster (as if that's what they need!) and the decibel assault on my ears that leaves me partially deaf, immobilized by a splitting headache for the next several days.

We were greeted in three languages spoken from three different continents, at least six different types of beer (I did ask for a dictionary to assist me in navigating these unfamiliar alcohol laden waters but they assured me of their personal expert guidance), a table sagging with unbelievable, indescribable amounts of food… with more and more coming by the minute. The ceiling was caving in on us from all the stomping and jumping and dancing going on upstairs.

The guests swapped their arrest stories while the host’s brother, a policemen off duty working for OPD kept shaking his head, each shake punctured by uproarious laughter of the rest of us. I confessed my only run-in with the law so far – the infamous speeding violation – which immediately spun into a spontaneous contest, Who Paid the Biggest Speeding Fine punctured by more and more laughter. Nobody was surprised that in this competion I was left in the dust.

I don’t think it is humanly possible to pack in more fun, food and racket in one short afternoon with complete strangers. As I reflect on it, I realize that after today I understand a little better why Jesus was called a friend of credit-card debt collectors and sinners. I can totally see Him having a great time with a bunch of misfits and lawbreakers like these friends of mine coming from four corners of the world. I can hear His laughter. I can imagine Him having the second and the third helping of that awesome lamb, and another stuffed grape leaves roll, and another serving of that heavenly layered cake. And a refill or two of the sweet wine.

But, He would also see beneath the makeup and the tattoos, beyond their rambunctious behavior into their pain and loneliness and fear. He would read between the lines of the book on child’s out-of-control behavior a deep sense of powerlessness and hopelessness to deal with life and all that life throws at you. He would hear amidst the loud noise makers celebrating children’s birthdays a desperate cry of a beautiful woman for love and permanence, even as a wedding dress and a walk down the aisle keeps slipping through her fingers with each child she conceives and births out of wedlock. And His heart would ache because of all their roadside choices, and yearn for the day when they will return home. For the day when they would finally recognize His coming and see that all their hungers and thirsts are fully and completely satisfied in Him and Him alone.


The Pharisees and their scribes began grumbling at His disciples, saying, “Why do you eat and drink with the tax collectors and sinners?” And Jesus answered and said to them, “It is not those who are well who need a physician, but those who are sick. I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance.
Luke 5:30-32

No comments: