Wednesday, April 04, 2012

“Can I put You on Hold for a Sec?” Plowing Over God while Busying to Do His Will

I know it sounds weird, but God is easily shoved aside because He chooses such unassuming ways in how He deals with us. I’ve done it countless times without even realizing. And many more times, knowing full well that God is trying to get my attention, but I choose to ignore Him… or rather, postpone Him. I have things to do. Stuff to accomplish. Check off my ever-growing TO-DO list. I’ve done it today at least half a dozen times! So, I bulldoze over the Holy Spirit with only a faint suspicion that I might be missing something… But, before that suspicion settles into anything concrete, I quickly reassure myself that whatever it is I am missing, it can’t be terribly important, since it is so easily bulldozed over.

I am so driven to accomplish God’s will that His presence in my life sometimes feels like, well, imposition. It is much easier for me to do what I think I’m supposed to do without needing to collaborate with God about it. What if He has an opinion that differs from what I have already determined to be my agenda? So, nine times out of ten, I skip the collaboration part, put the pedal to the metal, and… usually crash into a wall on the first turn. When that happens, I expect Him to come alongside, pick up the shattered pieces and tell me, “I told you so.” Well, He doesn’t. At least not that last, rubbing-it-all-in part. Even though He sure has the right to do it.

As I dust off my sore bottom, I ascribe the wall-crashing to a freak accident and move on with my life, as deaf as a post to the voice behind the thunder... the voice behind the megaphone…

Concerning Him we have much to say, and it is hard to explain, since you have become dull of hearing. Hebrews 5:11

No comments: