Tuesday, April 17, 2012

A Method to the Divine Madness? Even more thoughts on the Intergalactic Communication

With my proven track record, I know I am not qualified to assess anybody’s mental health, especially not the mental capacities of the Lord God Almighty. My psychiatrist would attest to that. But I admit that sometimes I do get a little worried about God’s reputation. If He doesn’t keep His blog and FB status regularly updated, how many 'likes', or 'followers' does He think He is going to get?!!! Not to mention all the crap He allows and tolerates in this world! If I were God, I wouldn't let that kind of stuff happen in my house!

So, it seems that this is where God and I part our ways - again! For unlike me, He doesn’t appear a bit concerned about His reputation. Or the numbers – whatever the numbers are – approval ratings, ‘likes’ or 'followers' on His Pinterest account. When God does algebra, greater numbers don’t add anything to Him, nor the lesser numbers take anything away. In fact, sometimes one can conclude that in God's economy less is actually more! Now, I think that is really weird. Weird but cool. I wish I could be more like that! Especially when I look at 10,000 books sagging my bookshelves.

So, having established that He is quite different, utterly unrepeatably DIFFERENT from anybody or anything you and I know, we can't be definitive about His mental state, namely we can't say that He is crazy just because His ways differ from ours. Considering all that He has given and continue to give to us, I think we owe it to Him to at least give Him the benefit of the doubt.

I know that this is extremely difficult for us who are the sceptical types, and it might take a little baby step… or perhaps a giant flea leap of faith for others (By the way, did you know that fleas can jump 200 times their body length – and that without wings?!!! I think it would be fun if humans could do that, although it may represent dangerous highway hazard, especially if jumping is not strictly regulated ... just a thought...)… Anyway, where were we? Ah, giving God the benefit of the doubt… That’s right…

So, let’s just dream together… What if… what if God turned down the volume so sooooo incredibly low, down to almost – just almost – an inaudible whisper, to ensure that only those who really, I mean, really really want to hear Him would lean in, and take pains at tuning out all other distractions and noises and on top of that be willing to wait as long as it takes to hear His voice?

And the rest of us can still have all the excuses we want to keep on ignoring Him?

Now, that might be a thought worth a consideration... perhaps even serious consideration…

No comments: