Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Cracked and Useful





I can choose to focus on the crack.

I can choose to focus on the rough edges and the chalky texture and the incompleteness.

I can choose to focus all my energies on the crack and the unfinishedness of this life that I forget all about the incredible almost ethereal beauty…

Or I can receive the bowl from the hands of the owner in its entirety… in the strange bittersweet wholeness it represents, allowing each side to speak its own message … allowing each side to mold my heart as I am faced with the cracks in my own life and in the lives of people around me… as I am faced with the unfinishedness of the process in my own life… and in the lives of the people around me… Reminded that there is glory and there is beauty in each…

Recognizing the glory and the beauty in each.

I am quite lost in my thoughts when I hear the owner’s voice bringing me back to the  pottery studio’s dusty floor.

Of course..., he adds almost as an afterthought, Of course we offer 100% guarantee for all the pieces made in our studio…

I look up not really understanding what he means by this, what he is talking about.  My expression must demand an explanation because he offers it, as simply as he pointed the crack.

Everything we make here is fully functional and oven, microwave and dishwasher safe.

I am so surprised I burst into laughter. The thought of  practicality,  the usefulness, the functionality  of the bowl never even crossed my mind.


You are telling me that this bowl is actually functional… it’s actually USEFUL…?!!!... I want to say but feel rather foolish so I suppress my laughter and keep my mouth shut. 

No comments: