Monday, May 12, 2014

Simply Complicated?





There is no record that the wedding helpers got entangled in any of the countless questions that might have popped in their minds. I am thinking, That must have popped inside their heads!

There is no record that they got distracted, and walked off, doing other things. It would have been understandable - there is always so much to do, especially in a wedding, and our age certainly didn't invent business and distractions (it just made them digital!)

They were ordinary people, just like us.  Just like you and me!

But all that was recorded about them was this: Jesus told them to fill the waterpots with water.

So they filled them up to the brim.

This is the part we play in becoming accomplices in the miracles God effects in our world.

Simple as that.

Simple containers.

Simple H2O.

Simple trust.

Simple deeds of obedience. The Just-Do-It.

To the brim.

But, this might be the most difficult part for us, because we are not simple enough. I know I am not.  I always question, and argue, negotiate and opinionate, advise and suggest. I whine.  I complain. I strategize and plan, dream and talk – a lot! It’s really, really hard for me to quiet myself and simply listen.  And, then, simply obey.
 
There is this slow, painful process of weaning I must undergo to free me from my complications. Sometimes it feels like the very skin is being peeled off my flesh because this is my life-support system I am hanging onto... which I fear if I loose, I’ll die! Or at least a part of me will die... and there would be less of me left.

I know it sounds dramatic.  But, this letting-go does feel a bit like dying…. And most of us, if we are honest, will admit that we resent it or resist it, or both! 

No comments: