Wednesday, May 07, 2014

Better Than Winning Lottery





Some think that it would be a notable miracle if one jumped off a cliff without a parachute or a wingsuit and landed safely.

Or turned stones into cinnamon rolls. (I can do this miracle in reverse any day!)

Or engage in a similar kind of spiritual acrobatics that would prove to the world that miracles do exist and God is who He says He is:  The Almighty who can bend the rules of His own universe any way He wishes.

A relative of mine told me once that he would believe in God if He helped him win lottery.

I don’t want to pick on my relative as if every one of us haven’t said something similar at one point or another,

God, if You would do just this one thing, I will believe in you forever.

I remember praying that prayer to avoid impending spanking when I was in elementary school. My parents got distracted as parents often do and forgot all about it (or at least acted as if they forgot). I avoided the well-deserved spanking and dismissed the whole 'answered prayer' thing as pure coincidence.

There are a lot of prayers in this world that get answered and then dismissed as pure coincidence.

But that’s not what I want to talk about.

What I want to talk about is how to be an accomplice to a real miracle by doing what Jesus’ mother tells us to do. 

Mothers generally have some solid advice and we should do what they tell us to do. At least, most of the time. 

But, here's something that one special mom said and I think her advice is worth heeding even more than all the words the rest of us prodigiously pile up on our offspring under the pretext of being helpful.  

This is what Mary, Jesus' mom says:

Whatever He tells you to do, do it. 

Simple as that. 

Whatever...

He...

Tells you...

To do...

Do it. 

No comments: