Friday, September 06, 2013

Step Two - Expect the Unexpected



During one visit to my in-laws I stumbled across a copy of Betty Crocker’s Cookbook in my mother-in-law’s cupboard, wedged between to the dinged enamel pot containing flour, the bent sifter and extra utensils. A very old copy.

 You too have one of these! I exclaimed.

Oh, yes! It’s by far my favorite. I’ve had it ever since we were married. First edition. Got it as a wedding  gift from my mother… Of course, she was such a marvelous cook, she could have written it herself. I still use it all the time.

First edition… a wedding gift… my mother… great cook…

Her words ring inside my ears like fire alarm bells… I can’t help but recognize the similarities in our cooking trajectory, at least at the launch pad of life. And yet, there is such a vast difference between us  - or rather, an unbridgeable gap. For, like her own mother,  my mother-in-law herself is an amazing cook.  I know that from personal experience as do countless family members, friends and neighbors.  I, on the other hand, am nothing like my mom. Enough said.

I pick up the ancient cookbook and begin to gently flip through its sections. It’s still in a very good condition considering the age, but I can’t help but notice the evidence of frequent use on just about every yellowed page. Specks of oil. Splatters of dried up batter. Asterisks and notes in my mother-in-law’s neat handwriting. Many a wonderful family meal has been carefully guided by the words written by the famous pro. 

In the Cakes and Pies section, I come across the peach pie recipe page, and a bitter memory of crumbling fiasco upon crumbling fiasco bubbles up inside me.


Unfortunately, I don’t do cookbooks. I slam the cookbook shut and start putting it away. I tried  and it just doesn’t work for me. And as if to permanently punctuate it, I add, And I know it  never will. 

No comments: