Monday, September 02, 2013

Help, I Need Somebody!




For years our son has been able to get by in his violin playing ‘career’ by coasting along on his natural ability, random practice and hiding behind the group (or so he thought) during the weekly orchestra rehearsals.

Last season it seemed that his ears were suddenly opened to the fact that there might be more to playing music than just ‘getting by’, by endlessly regurgitating what he already knew.  He begun with daily scales and arpeggios and worked on an audition piece he hoped to get him to the next, more challenging level of playing. 

If there was any pride and self-satisfaction for his recent upward movement success, it quickly evaporated during the first rehearsal of the new season. 

What in the world did I get myself into?!!!  I could read behind the thin veneer of coolness as he mingled with the hardworking, gifted geniuses of the string family during the rehearsal break.  The ride home was uncommonly quiet. We were almost there when he peeped:

Mom, could you please call Mrs. O and arrange for the lessons?
 
His lackadaisical approach to his instrument wasn’t sufficient to carry him on any further. The complexity of the music played made it clear to him that he can’t figure it out on his own. He knew he needed the teacher’s help. And needed it desperately.

I find myself in that place in my own life. For a time, I may believe that I can manage just fine on my own, but there comes a day when all self-sufficiency crumbles, when the sheer will power, the natural ability and skill, the talent and the experience are simply not enough to meet the complexity and challenges of what I am facing. I know I can't make it on my own. I need help and need it desperately. I need the Teacher.

...He, your Teacher will no longer hide Himself, but your eyes will behold your Teacher. Your ears will hear a word behind you, “This is the way, walk in it,” whenever you turn to the right or to the left. Isaiah 30:20-21

No comments: