Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The Biggest Miracle




By the way he looks at me, I can tell that his mind-reading abilities are still clearly at work. I slowly wipe the mayo-mustard drip from the corner of my mouth, the last bite of the sandwich keeping my taste-buds exploding in yummy fireworks.

I know what's coming, so I brace myself for the impact.  The Place Where Miracles Happen Every Day clearly has toxic effect on me, but I am not sure whether this is their or my problem! So, I expect him to deliver a painfully obvious sermon about the pitfalls of unrealistic expectations or hidden hazards of comparisons to our soul's health and well-being. For some reason, however, he refuses to walk through that door. He turns his gaze away and shakes off the crumbs. Maybe the 'painfully obvious' part is good enough for him. I don't know whether I am more relieved or confused - he is becoming almost predictable about being utterly unpredictable in his dealings with me.

I want to show you something. He stands up and heads towards the back yard.

As soon as we are out, I realize that the vegetable garden plot - the burial ground for the coriander, broccoli and zucchini seeds; the invisible universe lying dormant until the seed is willing to tumble into the dirt and... die -  has completely fallen off my radar screen!  He stops by the concrete edging, waiting to see my reaction.

I look down, and in the soft brown mixture of compost and dirt, I am greeted by the tiny rows of bright green, the tender tufts of new life springing up - out of nothing, out of darkness, out of... death...?!! They look so...so desperately fragile, and beautiful, and delightfully carefree, dancing in the gentle wind...   Their roots still hidden deep in the womb of gloom... but their miniature heads are lifted up ...

like hope that's born out of hopelessness;

like love birthed from rejection and loneliness;

like faith that grows out of the silence of the dark night of the soul.

The...the..they... they are GORGEOUS! I LOVE them! I stutter, laughing and crying at the same time, the emotion of the moment taking me completely by surprise.  I had no idea I could do that! ... I pause, remembering some of the more embarrassing details of the National Planting Day, and correct myself sheepishly. Not that I can take any credit for it... for it all happened much more despite and not because of me...

Congratulations! He laughs, You are now ready to become a gardener in training! See, I told you that we could make your own back yard the place where miracles happen every day. ... But the biggest miracle is not this... He points at the slender stalks still dancing in the breeze. The biggest miracle of all is the one that happens on the inside...  He thumps his chest with the tips of his fingers.  Inside your own heart. 



I'll give you a new heart.  I'll put a new spirit in you.  I'll cut out your stone heart and replace it with the heart of flesh and blood.  Then you'll obey my statues and be careful to obey my commands. You'll be My people. I'll be your God. Ezekiel 11:18,19



No comments: