Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Thorn in the Flesh




I soooo want to stay in that happy place of wonder of this unfolding miracle of life... To permanently soak in the indomitable hope and the beauty that springs out of the common dirt...

I also remember the equally exhilarating feeling of being pulled out of the sink hole and the garden hose shower, the living water that scrubbed from the inside out. ...  Is there a way one can live like that... not experience those eye-opening moments in an unpredictable, seemingly haphazard fashion, but actually live ALIVE to the miracle in and around us, day in day out, breath in breath out...?

We have a work to do, remember? The Gardener's voice interrupts my train of thoughts. The door...?

The Door! Yes, the damn door! And that Code Enforcer idiot who ... I feel my internal temperature rising beyond my ability to manage as I think of  bizarre incident.

I can't believe he did that?!!!  What was he thinking?!!! Some people sure take their jobs waaay too seriously!

Perhaps. But what others do doesn't change the fact that we have a door to take care of on your house.

I really want to vent about the audacity and unfairness of the situation, but he is already taking the plywood off.  He points out at the rust on one of the old hinges, and uses carpenter's glue to repair the splintered pieces.  He suggests we replace the broken glass with some stained-glass windows - he used to make those for fun before he joined his dad in the landscaping business and can have somebody from the shop come and drop them off this afternoon.  I marvel at his composure and creativity and  decide the best thing for me to do is keep my mouth shut and follow him around, handing a tool here and a glass of water there.

He truly is a miracle worker for before the afternoon is over, the door is as good as new - or better, especially with the beautiful stained glass pieces now replacing the broken window panes.  We are ready for installation! As we lift it up, I suddenly feel a piercing pain in my hand. I scream out, almost dropping the door on my foot. Apparently I managed to find a stray splinter that embedded itself so deeply into my flesh. I couldn't even see it.  I feel it's there in all its potency, but it broke off at the point of entry, making it almost impossible to remove.

It's O.K.  The Gardener examines the throbbing palm of my hand gently,  Leave it alone... You'll be alright.

I can't leave it there!  It's excruciating!  It may get infected.  I could lose a limb! Do you realize how debilitating this is... ?!!! Do you know what it is like to walk around with a large thorn deeply embedded in your flesh?!!!

He doesn't say anything for several eternity-long moments... I sense again the time being suspended on those hinges of eternity. Eventually he answers with a barely audible whisper:

I might have an idea or two... I might just have an idea...



And the soldiers twisted together a crown of thorns and put it on His head, and put a purple robe on Him 
John 19:2





And He has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.” 2 Corinthians 12:9

No comments: