Friday, September 27, 2013

The Great Dilemma


This week, as if to remind me of the world of yardsticks that we live in, I was shown this video not once but twice. First time at the Open House in our daughter’s elementary and the second time, in our son’s middle school. 'Our children need to get - really get - this message' is what the educators are conveying.






Like it or not, life is full of measuring sticks. How smart we are, how fast we are... how well we can -you know - compete.

Before we jump too hard on our school system, I must give the credit to the creators of the video for being well… you know… honest… perhaps even blunt. For not everyone has the courage to put some of our world's realities in such subtle terms.

My intention is not to make this into a debate about Common Core Standards and public school education. Many parents put their children in private schools or home-school for the very same reason – to increase their children’s competitive edge in a brutally competitive world.

Churches and non-profits are not exempt. In fact, sometimes we are the worst of the bunch, often imposing impossible spiritual standards of perfection in the name of faith in the perfect God.  I admit it, Guilty as charged. 

Incidentally, a couple of days ago, sandwiched between two Open Houses, I come across the following video.  



So, today I am scratching my head. For, this is the dilemma each of us has to wrestle with...

Which message is true?

Which message do I say I believe as true?

Which message do I tell my children to believe?

But, most importantly,

Which message do I broadcast, not just by what I say and write, but by the way I live my life?

No comments: