Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Danger! Proceed With Caution!




Getting a brand new, glow-in-the-dark driveway made me think that our back patio could use the same extreme makeover.  So, I dragged the pressure washer and begun cleaning away, too eager to unearth the original beauty under the decades-thick layers of grime to put my shoes on. The satisfaction of receiving instant reward from my labor was positively addictive.

It’s not like I haven’t known. It’s not like I haven’t been warned.  I knew the danger of the power tool.  I was warned several times that I must be extremely careful.  That I must use it with utmost caution.

But, I was having so much fun.  Plus, I was becoming a pro in this pressure washing business.  I had an entire day of work under my belt! All that shiny, glowing concrete must have gotten into my head, and I got a bit careless.  A bit overconfident. A bit cocky.

And then it happened.

I felt slicing pain as the laser sharp stream crossed over my toe.  At first I was in so much denial, I didn’t even recognize what had happened.  Then I saw a flap of skin hanging and bright red bubbling up.  I stared at my foot not believing my eyes. But, there it was. My poor toe, split in half to the bone, the blood now dripping onto the clean patio.

The throbbing pain put the rest of the cleaning on indefinite hold.

As much as I hate to admit it, the gory experience might have been exactly what I needed. 

In my head I knew that the power tools are a dangerous business.  That exercising extreme caution is a non-negotiable. Well, yesterday that head knowledge went down from my head and is now forever carved onto my toe.  And when the pain is gone, I’ll have a nice scar as a permanent reminder.

As useful, helpful and effective as the power tool is, it must be handled with extreme care and caution.

(God's) powerful Word is sharp as a surgeon’s scalpel, cutting through everything, whether doubt or defense, laying us open to listen and obey. Nothing and no one is impervious to God’s Word. We can’t get away from it—no matter what. Hebrews 4:12

No comments: