Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Step Five Through 368 - The Mastery of the Mystery



By the end of the afternoon we run out of flour and send Dad to the store.  He hauls a 50 pound bag on his shoulder and mutters something about General Mills stock. We run out of Crisco the following morning and are again low on flour. That evening, The Nightly Business Report has a story on sudden, inexplicable increase in demand of flour on world market which sent General Mills stock skyrocketing.  The U.S. blames the artificial shortage on China. China blames the U.S. on price gouging of Crisco. Russians remain uninvolved fearing they might tip the scale. The United Nations calls for an emergency session to discuss the crisis.  Al Gore says it’s all because of the global warming.

In meanwhile, my mother-in-law and I are snowed in, wading through three feet of flour in her kitchen. Not only is she not deterred.  She seems positively energized by all the ways I've taught her how NOT to work the pie dough.  When the 34th batch got thrown into the garbage, she started taking notes. I think she is planning on publishing a book titled 368 Ways to Ruin a Perfect Batch of Dough. I don’t know if I should be proud or embarrassed that my name will be in the credits. I hope we recuperate some of the cost from the sales of the book.  She laughs at me and says that I worry too much and that it's all worth it. 

My mother-in-law is not the only one learning. I too am discovering a lot. Even I am amazed that the mastery of basics – three simple ingredients in all – can contain so many screw-ups.  But, with every failure I feel like I am making progress... I feel I am an inch… well, a fraction of a millimeter – closer to something borderline edible.  

I can’t explain it, but it seems like the more I fail, the more hope I receive. It's really weird. And have no idea where it’s all coming from. 

No comments: