Friday, September 20, 2013

Finishing Well




Starting was easy.  It was exciting and instantly rewarding.  I could see the immediate, dramatic results of my labor.  The layers of filth were peeled away and washed out simultaneously under the laser-sharp stream of water. The sparkling clean, glow-in-the-dark driveway was unearthed from underneath the grime. Anyone could see it.  The change was startling and being able to make it happen was fun! Maybe too much fun...

Then the slicing pain put a stop to all the fun. The work was suspended for several weeks, other things taking priority. 

My toe is healed  now – valuable lessons learned, I hope - but I am left without excuse. 

The novelty, however, has worn off and I feel no adrenaline rush at the thought of dragging the hose and the pressure washer and finishing what I started.  Suddenly there seems to be nothing attractive about continuing the work – it’s a chore. The most obvious, the most visible areas are done.  I want to say,


It’s good enough.

Why bother?

Nobody cares.

I find myself in that place often.  My garage testifies that I am good at starting.  But there is a lot of unfinished business littering my life, ignored once the thrill of the new beginning wears off.

Finishing well is hard.

There is a long, exhausting, drudgerious path between the exciting new beginning and the finish line.

Some days it's a major victory just getting out of bed. Placing one foot in front of the other.

Left.

Right.

Left.

But, it is the finish line that matters.



The end of a matter is better than its beginning; Patience of spirit is better than haughtiness of spirit. Ecclesiastes 7:8 

For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God, you may receive what was promised. Hebrews 10:36

... let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. For consider Him who has endured such hostility by sinners against Himself, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. Hebrews 12:1-3

No comments: