Monday, March 03, 2014

Love is Always Enough




Enough???

The young woman’s voice cracked with emotion. 

What do you mean, what you did wasn’t enough?!! Dad, what you did was MORE than just enough! What you did for me, what you did with me made it easy, so easy for me to trust God. Your love for me made it the most natural thing to know, in the heart of my heart, that all His thoughts toward me are nothing but good. Dad, He is not a stranger.  He is our Father, our Heavenly Dad! Just like you are a dad - to me!

The look on the father’s face shifted slightly. As if he suddenly realized something he hadn't been aware of all this time.  

Think of it, Dad! The woman continued, With you near me, I knew I was safe.  Remember the time you just taught me how to swim and I thought I was so good.  I thought I could do it. And you let me go out too far, into the deep, not because you knew I could handle it, but because you knew YOU could handle it.  And you dragged me back through the pounding waves to the shore, while I was clawing at  your neck, almost drowning both of us?

The father shook his head, laughing at the memory of the day.

But I never, for one second, doubted I was safe, because I was with you! You never let me go  hungry. Hungry  for food, never go hungry for attention.  You made me feel beautiful, carrot-hair, chubby cheeks,  freckles and all,  while you were sitting in the armchair, bone-tired, watching me play dress-up in mom’s fancy clothes.  And the mess that we made, skirts and dresses scattered all over the floor! Mom was so mad!

Oh, my! Did I get in trouble with your mother that day or what! The dad chuckled.

No comments: