Friday, March 07, 2014

Chocolate-Covered Strawberry Fast





I feel rather pleased with myself for having so swiftly turned tables on my in-house Lental police. But, before I could gloat in my victory far too long, Child Two, the reflective, shake-hands-with-God, replace-Oreos-with-fruit child, furrows his brow.

That’s funny. I thought that the point of Lent is to realize that all these things that we think we can’t live without…He casually waves his hand, the sweep encompassing not just the pantry and the kitchen, but the library and the study, and even the living room where X-Box is hidden inside the dinged pine armoire,  ... that all these things that trip us up and keep us hooked… are really not that big of a deal… It’s like they are brought to size and they are not so out of whack… and we are not so out of whack any more.

I stare at the Child Two, hoping there is a replay button somewhere on him, and I can hear what he just said again and again.

Where did you hear that?!!! I gasp.

Mom, I didn’t need to hear it.  It’s kind of obvious.  And he walks off towards the refrigerator, opens the door and grabs a box of strawberries out of the fruit drawer. He bites into one and after chewing on it for a few moments, he adds,


You must have bought these at Wal-Mart? They are tasteless... would be much better if they were dipped in chocolate. 

No comments: