Saturday, March 29, 2014

The Great Unravelling




All the wonderful talk about team-manship, and unity, togetherness and sticking out for each other, the lofty ideas of adjusting our pace to the slowest in our herd… well, it turned out to be just that – mere talk. 

Apparently, some of us happen to be more competitive then others.  For them, the pace was too slow. There was this running energy inside them that couldn’t be curbed .

We’ll see you at the finish line, shouts out the fast child, trotting off with a friend of comparable energy and stamina.

There goes our unity, I gasp torn in half.  We watch the stragglers pass us one by one, a 78 year old lady in turquoise tights and matching visors who flashes us a big smile, a toddler with a giant teddy bear and a pregnant mother with her brood of four. We are well on our steady way towards leading the very tip of the tail.

Last shall be first and first shall be last, I am trying to cheer myself up with aptly quoting Bible verses out of context.  My dreams and expectations for the race long left behind wallowing in the START line dust, I hang onto glass-half-full.

At least we are all still in the race.  It’s all about finishing after all.

That was at the mile marker two.

The kind volunteers hand us cups of water and shout their disingenuous,

You are doing great!

Almost there!

Way to go!


As if we don’t know how pathetic we feel and look.

At about 2.2 mile marker, I turn around and see my husband catching up with my neighbor and me.

You are alone! I cry out, my heart draining out of the hole in my running shoe. Where is…?


Dropped... out…  Had a knee- injury last night at the lock-in… Too much... pain… Couldn’t…... finish…

No comments: