Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Fat Cat Tuesday





How about you, Mom? What are you going to give up for Lent?

Our easy-going after dinner conversation about origins of Mardi Gras suddenly took turn for the worse.

But before I could answer the question. Child One all too willingly volunteered to give up all tech toys, meticulously naming each one.

The phone,. And,

Computer. And,

Kindle. And,

X-box. And,

iPod. And,

iPad.

The extravagance of the sacrifice was simply breathtaking.

Child One then proceeded to specify that computer and iPad could be used for homework but not  for playing video games.  All this was said while Child One pointedly stared at Child Two - the real tech junkie in the family - waiting for the 'subtle' arm-twisting to take effect.

Meanwhile Child Two remained silent, presumably deliberating as to what might be the best way to enter this Lenten game of religious one-up-menship.  Pressure mounting, decision was made to choose safety by sticking with tried-and-tested traditional path.

Deflecting the all-too-obvious invitation to pre-Easter self-flagellation Child Two volunteered to abstain from Oreo cookies and all trans fats.

I’ll eat fruit instead.

I look at the mirror of my children and recognize myself in both.  On one hand, it takes no effort for me to note what you should be giving up ‘for God’. Heavens! It’s quite obvious. And if you can’t figure it out yourself, I am more than willing to help out, arm-twisting and all.

But when pressure begins to mount – from the inside as well as from the outside - I choose to deflect - offering God a polite religious hand-shake while keeping Him at arm’s length, hoping this might keep Him from getting too close and personal.


Lent... I mutter, Hmmm… I don’t know.  I haven’t really thought about it. I finally confess, wondering if I am the only one scratching my head over the strange shadowy sides of the religious discipline.

No comments: