Thursday, February 11, 2016

The Wobbling Attitude Wheel Adjuster






Whenever I hear myself talking like that  - even if no words were actually spoken out loud - I know that the wheels of my attitude are starting to wobble. You wouldn't know it from personal experience, I am sure, but wobbling attitude wheels are terribly annoying at best. 

Sometimes, not to sound like our local news anchor, they can even be deadly!

There is only one mechanic I know who can fix my wobbling attitude wheels.

Unfortunately, I have to admit here that I am not Him. And it's not like I didn't try.  

Pitiful failure as I may be to adjust my own attitude, it doesn't deter me from trying to be the Wobbling Attitude Wheel Adjuster, for a lot of people, especially my kids.  When they start complaining, for example, how un-BEAR-able their lives are (they are teenagers!), I usually say something tremendously helpful like, We should send you to Africa and there you’ll get some REAL reasons to complain about!

Surprisingly enough, that's not even remotely the kind of thing that the one and only WAWA ever tells me. He usually just waits until I have vented enough. Sometimes, when after a few hours of vehement venting I run out of steam and stop, He asks me if I have anything else to add. I would furrow my brow, raking my brain really hard to think of something else to add to my tirade, and if I can’t think of anything, I’d say I am finished.

On rare occasions, since I’ve been treated so kindly, and so respectfully, and so patiently I remember my manners and I ask Him if He would like to say something to me since now I am finally ready to listen. 

A time or two, I even made a point of actually listening to what He might say rather than assume that, 

One: I already know what's in His mind.

Two: He must be just like everyone else, too busy and too important to talk to the little nobody like me.


But, when He speaks, a single word out of His mouth carries more weight than complete works of Tolstoy and Dostoevsky (no offense to either) combined. 

No comments: