Thursday, February 18, 2016

The Mega Mansion of the Soul






I was scratching the interior walls of the chicken coop of my soul looking for that one magic word that might do the trick and painlessly effect the necessary adjustment to my woefully out-of-joint attitude. It all seemed futile for quite a while, which I swiftly interpreted as a sure indication of the incredible complexity of our diversity-on-steroids situation that clearly outstripped even God’s capacity to handle….

It doesn’t always happen like this, but I was sitting on the floor in the middle of a mess of papers, and books and different mobile devices when suddenly my eye falls on the page of a letter  Paul wrote to his friends who lived so far away that he had to write letters to them rather than just send them a quick text or even Skype them….

And these were the words that gently tapped on the murky window of my despairing chicken-cooped-up soul….

So spacious is he, so roomy, that everything of God finds its proper place in him without crowding. Colossians 1:19

So… spacious…

So… roomy…

It was like this old guy, Paul, was reading pages after pages of my journal entries without my knowing it and then responding to them in a message supposedly written to somebody else...

He talks here about space. Plenty of space.

He talks about roominess.  Plenty of room.

For me? 

For us? For my outrageously diverse - multicultural, multigerational, multilingual - family?

For all of GOD! 

There is so much room inside this Person, this Jewish carpenter, Jesus, the Christ… Plenty of room, plenty of space to fit us all in, to contain not just us but GOD Himself – without crowding!


This is not some cup and saucer theology we are looking at. 

It's not some cosmic chicken coop religion we are talking about here. This is a living, pulsating MEGA-mansion of the Soul, that even Donald Trump can’t build!

And yet, it's 'container' is an ordinary flesh-and-blood human being... who was once a baby!

No comments: