Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Under Pressure



Martha started out so well.  She opened the door and received Jesus and His friends into her home, making them feel quite welcome.  I think that’s remarkable. She is warm, and genuine, and actually quite happy to have this wonderful opportunity to serve the Lord.

We can only speculate where things turned south....what pushed her over the edge...

A burnt roast or a collapsed soufflé?

She bit off more than she could chew…?

Her expectations of herself and others were way too high…?

Her deep sense of justice and fairness, the equitable kitchen chore distribution got violated because she was doing all the work and her sister was just hanging out with the boys….?

She finally reached the outer ends of her personal resources and capacities…?

Or, perhaps, a little bit of all of the above... until her poised self started falling apart…

God’s Word simply says,

Martha was distracted by all her preparationsLuke 10:40a

Distracted.

By all her preparations.

Distractions usually start off quite innocently. We all have a list of things to do with multiple items on it.  But, at some point, checking things off the list becomes the goal and people in my life either tools I use to assist me in accomplishing my mission or obstacles on my way.  This creates conflict and confusion in my mind and heart, and invariably spills out into all my relationships.

I question God’s love…
 
Lord, don’t you care…?

I project the blame for my stress and discomfort onto somebody else.

… my sister has left me to do all the work alone…

The problem in Martha’s mind is quite obvious. A no-brainer! The solution more obvious still:

Then tell her to help me!

Imagine the shocking surprise, the disbelief on Martha’s face when she heard Jesus’ answer.

No comments: