Thursday, November 14, 2013

A Hole in the Wall




What are these, Mom?

We were getting our bikes out for the morning ride to school, but a stack of long wood planks that suddenly appeared in the garage,compliments of my husband’s late night trip to Home Depot, was blocking our way.

Just some stuff Daddy got to repair that huge hole in the siding, I respond, lifting her bicycle over the pile.

There is a hole in our house?!!! Her eyes pop wide open.

Yea. I grumble, for even though I am aware of the fact that my children have inherited my gene for overlooking the obvious, every now and then, this gets on my nerves.   There is a hole the size of a soccer ball in the siding of our house, and you never saw it?!!! She walks with me to the corner of the house and looks up where I point.

Oh wow. There sure is a hole, but I never saw it. I feel sweetly justified in my grumbling misery, but she shrugs her shoulders.

I guess I just love our house so much, that I never noticed i., She  hops onto her sky-blue bike and pedals off free like a bird.

I watch her ride away, her words, her carefree assurance that in God’s good time, her Daddy will take care of our house a gentle reprimand and a loving invitation for a renewed vision.

For I get so focused on everything that’s wrong – with our house, our world, God’s church  – all I see are the gaping holes! I worry and fret, I grumble and complain, until this beautiful house, a home for the families, a resting place for the tired travelers is completely swallowed up by soccer-field-size holes.

 And in all that seeing, I miss the simple obvious truth of… loving. The simple restful assurance that my gracious heavenly Father will, in His good time, fully and completely take care of all the gaping holes in His house – even those the size of the Grand Canyon!

Until that day, my job as His child is not to worry and fret but pray and love and perhaps become a little more blind so I can learn to see more with His heart than with my eyes.


For the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the Lord, as the waters cover the sea. Habakkuk 2:14

No comments: