Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Alphabet of Love - K is for Know



He knows you better than you know yourself, I was told years ago when I was still very young, and my head was full of information and facts, data and statistics and my heart was a wounded tangle of hurts and insecurities.

That’s impossible, I thought, part of me terrified, Nobody can know me the way I know myself. I didn’t take very long for me to realize that there was A LOT more about me that I didn’t know, a lot I didn’t understand.  There still is.  But, what is more important is that there indeed is One who both knows me more than I can conceive, AND loves me as I am. 

To Be Known

You have searched me, Lord,
    and you know me.
You know when I sit and when I rise;
    you perceive my thoughts from afar.
You discern my going out and my lying down;
    you are familiar with all my ways.
Before a word is on my tongue
    you, Lord, know it completely.
You hem me in behind and before,
    and you lay your hand upon me.
 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain. Psalm 139:1-6

But, this is not all.  For, not only does God know me and understand me better than I know and understand myself, He also desires me to know Him!  

To Know

Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent. John 17:3

Thus says the Lord, “Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, that I am the Lord who exercises lovingkindness, justice and righteousness on earth; for I delight in these things,” declares the Lord. Jeremiah 9:23,24

What an amazing adventure life is.  To be known to the level of depth and intimacy as we are… to be understood even when we don’t understand ourselves…And to be invited into a life-long journey of knowing… God!  To take time to get to know Him, to listen to His heart as expressed through His Word.  To understand what He loves and what He hates, to become intimate with His ways, to relish in how kind, and smart, and surprising and funny and creative and laid-back, and easy-to-get-along He is… and how holy, and lofty and incomprehensible and mysterious and even terrifying He is… like a Lion and yet still like a Lamb…  And to have the promise that one day all our questions will be answered, all our fears silenced, our souls fully at rest in Him… for we will know as we are known.

For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. I Corinthians 13:12

No comments: