Monday, January 14, 2013

Alphabet of Love - J is for Jesus


It’s not a religion, it’s a relationship… relationship with Jesus Christ.  I was told during my atheist years.  The statement, of course, made absolutely no sense to me, but I could tell that these people thought it was really, really important.

I did not like Jesus at the time.  I did not like even the mention of His name.  I was positively infuriated by the fact that those Christians insisted that

… there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved. Acts 4:12

What infuriated me even more was that Jesus Himself said:

I am the way, the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father but through Me. John 14:6

When I first heard the preposterous claim, my initial response was:

Who does He think He is to talk like that?!!!

Now, that’s a very good question.

Thus begun my journey of discovering the answer. The journey started in the summer of 1986 and still continues on to this very day and will go on not just until my last breath but throughout eternity. I have shared more of this journey in several posts beginning with You May Believe in God But I Never Will. As they like to say, The rest is history.

What I find peculiar at this time, is that we Christians seem to insist on Jesus at the commencement of our new-found relationship with God.  However, somewhere along the way, in our excitement to help Him build His kingdom we take charge, and Jesus gets shoved to the sidelines. Sad as this is, it shouldn't come to us as a complete shock. When we enter God’s family, we enter into such impressive heritage, such rich history, such diverse and fascinating community.  There is so much to learn, so much to connect, understand, realize. So much to do! Opportunities, especially in the age of technology, are practically endless!

Peter, James and John found themselves in a similar distracted frame of mind on the Mount of Transfiguration. 








Imagine finding yourself face-to-face with Moses and Elijah conversing with Jesus! Peter felt inspired, took initiative and… was stopped dead in his tracks. There is no confusion in God’s mind who’s who in His kingdom and who’s the One to listen to.

And lifting up their eyes, they saw no one, except Jesus Himself alone. Matthew 17:8

No one.
Except.
Jesus.
Himself.
Alone.


No comments: