Friday, December 07, 2012

The Bad News of Christmas


The bright neon NO VACANCY signs were lit all over the town. It was the busiest travelling week of the year, people milling around the narrow streets, all along the main road, compliments of the government bureaucracy at its worst.

Surely there will be a room somewhere, Jo muttered, looking at his fiancée’s protruding belly. Especially considering whose child you ….

I know… There MUST BE a place prepared for us… I can almost feel it.  Plus, it looks like it’s time… we can’t wait much longer.

They hurried as best as they could  towards the bed-and-breakfast at the edge of the town. This was their last chance  to find something for the night.  They were both confident that this must be it.  The flickering VACANCY sign boosted their hope.

Here we are – that’s it.  Joe let out a big sigh of relief.  I knew it.

They rang the bell and the senior manager came rushing from around the corner.  One look at the couple and he knew all that he needed to know… but there was nothing he could do.

I am so sorry, folks, but that was my very last room. The family just took their bags in.  I am completely sold out.

That’s impossible, Joe protested.  You are our last chance.  We have to be here tonight!

Very sorry, sir, but nothing I can do…You just missed it... I wish I could…

Mary’s eyes were brimming with tears.  It’s not like she was expecting a penthouse occupying an entire top floor.  Just a room, with a bed and some clean sheets… and perhaps a sink.  Could He not… Why would He not… … for His own Son?!!  Just missed it, he said?!!! This doesn’t make sense…few minutes too late?!!

Actually, the manager hesitated, I have... There is a place in the back… I don’t know, I’ve never let anyone stay there… ... it's... 

We’ll take it!, Joe interrupted.  I am sure it will be fit for a king. But, there was no moment to spare.  The baby was already on the way. ...

In the world governed by the pecking order of  prestige and privilege, one would think that carrying God’s Son would guarantee certain benefits and rights, if not notable luxuries. God's surprising ways didn't stop that night. Even to this day we have an opportunity to prove that the unfolding of God’s will is quite different not only from the way of the world, but also from our own expectations about the how’s and the when’s of His mysterious way.  For we walk by faith and not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7

How is Jesus challenging your beliefs and established patterns of thinking as to His will and His plan for your life today?  

No comments: