Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Advent Season... Just When We Think We Figured It All Out



I made a firm decision to declutter our Christmas this year and move to the garage next.  That was last Saturday. In the morning our neighbor Bob came to tell us that he is getting rid of an antique dresser. I have a soft spot for old gorgeous European junk and our son’s dresser has been repaired and broken more times than we can count. It was a carefully evaluated ‘yes’ before I went to his house to get it. I came back with the dresser AND an ancient music sheet cabinet.   As I said, I have a soft spot plus as a way to thank Bob, I needed to help him declutter his house. Later in the afternoon, he brought some home-baked cookies, an inflatable Frosty the Snowman,  a large ceramic Santa Clause, a dozen lighted candy canes, two reindeer and a matching snowman.


It’s for the kids, they enjoy it. Plus, it’s easier for you to set it up than for me, so this way we all get to enjoy it.


I couldn’t argue with that, but my internal agony was reaching a boiling point. I am supposed to get stuff out not keep getting more in!  Before I could send all the things (minus cookies!) back, my husband, our kids, and few of their neighborhood friends turned my decluttering Saturday into a Christmas decorating party - cookies and all. Feeling a bit like Scrooge, I admit I was begrudging the fact that somebody’s house was getting decluttered, and it certainly wasn’t mine. On the contrary!


Sensing the steam coming out of my ears, I marched into the back yard, where there was still some semblance of peace and quiet and space and blissful Frosty/Santa/Snowman/Reindeer-LESSNESS.


At least the majority of the stuff is on the front lawn, I deliberated.  The house and the back are still in reasonable order.


I took another deep breath, regaining enough composure to go back in. But, the sliding door was stuck. Inside, I noticed, the whole house looked like a bomb exploded, our family room furniture randomly stacked against the sliding door. I stormed around the house to the front, demanding answers.


What the…? Suddenly aware of eight pairs of saucer eyes glued on me in anticipated horror, I paused, rephrased the question, keeping lid on my temper.


What happened to our family room?  Why is all the furniture moved around?


Oh, I told the kids to clear out the space for the Christmas tree, so they can set it up, my husband responded calmly.  Is there a problem?


No. I slumped into the sofa. No problem. Let them set up the tree.


The four kids worked seamlessly setting up our giant artificial tree branch by branch. 


We need some Christmas music, announced the designated family musician.  You can’t decorate the tree without the music! With the radio on, the sound of Mary Did You Know? filled the house.  They continued working quietly and then, one by one begun to sing along….


The mystery of incarnation continues. Like Mary, we truly don't know when... or how of its wonder. May we remain open-hearted so we can receive all the good pleasure of His will, in chaos or calm, in silence or song.


No comments: