Saturday, March 24, 2012

Spiritual Formation For Dummies 101 – The Spitting Image

I decide to proceed more cautiously, actually thinking about choosing my words before I blurt out the first thing that pops into my mind. I even put a little bit of my heart into it, because I realize now that I really want to know the answer rather than just grab an opportunity to vocalize my opinion about how stupid somebody or something is. I take a deep breath before I try asking again:

So, why is rest so important to your dad?


I think he can tell there was a slight shift in my foundation, for I am squinching my toes and he smiles.

My Dad has invested so much of himself into our landscaping business. He loves the people that work for him and he loves the people we help with their landscaping needs even though some of them are real butt-heads.


There is not even a trace of reproach in his voice as he says this, and that actually makes me feel worse.

But, you know what, he is so much more than EVERGREENGOTS. We work hard, but we are so much more than what we do. We love just hanging out with each other and with all our friends and family. We sure are a motley bunch. He is into everything. He is very artistic – you might have seen some of his amazing watercolors… He has his artwork on regular display all over the place. He is also crazy about animals... and sports, but not because he is competitive... but just for the fun of the game.

Of all things, music is his passion - any kind, rock, hip-hop, classical, even country. He can play more instruments than anyone else I know. Strings are his thing, so much so that sometimes he calls me The Pitch-Pipe – but that’s our little secret. He never misses church - whether there are two or two thousand people gathered together.


I can feel my jaw joints loosening but I pay no attention to it. I know nothing of the life he is describing and feel almost spellbound as he continues,

I like to take naps with my dog on the leather couch in our study on my day off, but he's never been much into naps.I think he just loves to sit and watch us. He gets this look in his eyes...

Father loves to feed people and everyone in our family LOVES to eat. Every time we are together, there is food – LOTS of it, from every imaginable cuisine of the world… plus the wine… Aaah... I can tell you story after story about our wine, but you really need to taste it - just one sip... But...


I can feel cascading waterfall of saliva flowing out of the corner of my sagging mouth.

I.. I...I would LOVE to meet your d-d-dad some time,
I interrupt, suddenly stuttering while I wipe my face with the back of my hand.

You will one day. Everyone who knows my dad says I am his spitting image. You know me, you pretty much know my dad. That’s probably as much or more than you can handle for right now.

I can’t help but agree. Knowing him has at times felt much more than I could handle. But, I am still here. And loving it. And dreading it. All at the same time.

No comments: