Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Spiritual Formation 101 – Who Knew that Resting Could Be This Difficult

Sir, I think this is going to be a lot harder than it looks… How is it possible that something I intend to be so good, turns out to be so bad?!! This is going to be really hard. It's like turning my whole world upside down

I think you are right about that. Except, maybe, about the upside down, part... it's more like, right-side up.
I look at him petrified of the fact that he actually agrees with me. Seeing my ashen face, he adds,

No worries – I got you covered. Remember, all-inclusive, no termination contract?

I get that now. But, what kind of loser needs a life coach to learn to rest?!!

Is that a rhetorical question?
I realize that he laughs a lot.

How did you learn to rest?


I told you, I learned it from my dad. And, to be honest with you, that’s all I care about – what my dad thinks. Some people get all tangled up in what others think, others are all in knots about what they think and how to ensure that everyone else around them thinks in exactly the same way. It's amazing the amount of energy that takes - you could power the entire international space program with it. Plus, it only muddles up the real issue. So, I don't care much for either. But, if dad says, Go!, I go. If dad tells me to sit, I sit. If dad says there is an emergency, I drop everything and I am on it. It’s not a rocket science.

How do you guys keep in touch?

Got an always open direct line. Unlimited calling plan – calls, texts and data. No dropped calls. We love our provider - better than Verizon. The best thing of all, I can always add another line for free, since it's a family package


I know I told you this already, but I never heard of anybody having that kind of relationship with their dad.


I know I told you this already, but maybe that’s your problem?


Hmmm… I’ll have to think about that… It’s just that I am so stinky independent… and opinionated.

As I said…

Alright, I got it.

So, why is your dad so stuck up on this rest business?

Do you mind rephrasing that question – I don’t really appreciate when people use that tone when they talk about my dad, especially since he is the only person I know who is not stuck up on anything.

Sorry… it’s just this habit that I’ve developed…I mean no harm…

I know. It’s O.K. It’s hard to show respect to somebody you don’t really know.

No comments: