Thursday, September 04, 2014

Can You Bottle Living Water?






It’s so easy to prepackage God.  Or, at least, try to.  It’s so easy to assume that, because of our experience or knowledge or even our history with Him, we know what He would say or do in a particular situation, so we think there is really no need to ask Him.

Why bother? What’s there to ask?

Or we ask Him, without really waiting to hear what His answer is. For we already know it, right?

I’ve done it myself many times.  I still do.

My kids also do it to me all the time.  They think they know what I think and nine out of ten times, they are wrong! And even if they are right, what they don’t realize is that I want the dignity of the relationship rather than a vending-machine response.

I am not advocating that we re-invent the wheel every time, but Jesus’ response to the Samaritan woman is so outside-the-box unpredictable one has to pause and scratch his or her head. 

There is an incredible volume of truth imbedded in the woman’s lie, and Jesus’ reciting – restating – it back to her, probably shook the woman’s foundation of morality, relationships and view of right and wrong.


It’s that moment when you realize that you may be standing fully clothed, but still be stark naked in another’s eyes. 

No comments: