Tuesday, July 15, 2014

The Swaying Power of Love





I wish there was an easier way.  I wish there was a quick and easy sixty second download that would allow me to learn these lessons on my feet rather than laying prostrate, like Neymar, out of the game, helpless and powerless on a stretcher.

A way to life that carries me uninjured, healthy and strong, from victory to victory without tasting the bitter humiliation and regrets of defeat. 

A steady ascent of successes without fumbles and failures and the cruel replays of their could-haves and should-haves.

I want to insure not just my own life, but the lives of those I love against calamities that leave me … that leave us …empty-handed and broken-hearted.

But, for some reason I don’t fully understand, it’s only when I am limp on a stretcher, with the game continuing on without me… when all my usefulness is put aside and all my contribution stripped down and shriveled to a niltch… it’s only there that I begin to grasp… there really is more to me… than all those ecstatic victories and epic defeats.  

I am more valuable to God than scoring the winning goal in some cosmic World Cup?!!? 

YOU are more valuable to God than scoring the winning goal in the World Cup!

I am more to Him than the sum total of my feats and failures… and in His light, you become more to me than the sum total of your victories and defeats.  

Our accomplishments add no value to us; our fiascos take away nothing from His love... 

This may taste bitter in my mouth, but when I finally swallow, when I finally digest it's sweeter than honey.

And so, in His presence - perfectly loved, prostrate on a stretcher - these victories, these defeats both lose their swaying power over our hearts… and we are finally free to receive them as they come and let go of them as they go... free to begin to love as we've been loved...

 In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. I  John 4:10-11

No comments: