Tuesday, December 03, 2013

How to Guarantee Failure Every Time




I am learning that my hearing ability is in reverse proportion to my assumed knowledge of what I think you are about to say.  

The more confident I am that I already know what you want to share, the less likely I am to really listen.  In fact, I take it a step further. To spare you the unnecessary wasting of your precious breath, I kindly interrupt and generously fill in the blanks with my own choice words.

I mean well. Most of the time. The fact that in the wake of my unsolicited helpfulness I leave people feeling run over, invalidated, misunderstood and disrespected is a topic for another discussion. Ironically - or not - I discovered that nine out of ten times, I get it all wrong! 

How can that be?!!! I wonder. 

Now, if this is true in our families and workplaces, our schools, churches and neighborhoods, I wonder how much more audacious it is to treat the One who is The Living Word Himself with such presumption? 

And yet, we all do it, all the time! 

For, when I believe that my haphazard, vague familiarity with His written word makes me an 'expert'....

....if my 'expertise' absolves me of the responsibility as well as the need and the desire to listen to Him moment by moment, day by day....

.... if I put my faith on autopilot and treat prayer as a monologue - namely,  me telling God what to do ...

.... if I can run my life efficiently and comfortably without needing His Spirit to speak... rather, breathe in love, and power and correction into my life...

... I can guarantee you that ten out of ten times I will end up in a ditch.  

Impressive, loud, noisy, busy, and yet dead religion, can never be a substitute for a living, listening - obedient - faith in the living, listening and speaking God.

God’s Way is not a matter of mere talk; it’s an empowered life. I Corinthians 4:20


No comments: