Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Naked and Unashamed




About once a week I get my scuba gear and go deep sea diving into our laundry basket. There, amidst the stinky mismatched socks and dirty underwear, crumpled up T-shirts and pants with inverted legs, I wish I lived in the time before the Fall, when people walked around naked and they were unashamed.

Naked and unashamed.

Alas, those times are gone by and, as testified by my laundry basket, the clothing industry has gone a long way since the first fig leaves were sewn together in our desperate attempt to cover up our nakedness and hide our shame.  Its business, in fact, has proliferated quite nicely and gone beyond the fabrics and textures, form and design.

Yet, even when fully clothed, some of us still feel exposed.  Still covered with shame. When latest fashion proves to be insufficient, we move onto other things, in search for adequate covering.

Activity, including religious (especially religious!)... tireless...

Achievement... endless...

Approval... insatiable...

All these may provide temporary relief, but eventually they wear off and run threadbare, launching us off into the next search… and the next.

As I sort and separate the darks from the whites, I think of a different kind of wardrobe provided to us at no expense, no money out of our pocket. The well-stocked, full faith wardrobe of Christ-life… 

His righteousness. 

His gentleness. 

His humility. 

His patience and kindness. 

His grace and His truth and forgiveness...

His rest...

I realize in my own self, even with the overflowing laundry basket, my wardrobe is empty and my garments sin-holed are threadbare. Instead of trying to patch them up, I can exchange it for a different, royal closet where I can find all the clothes I need so I don’t run around naked.

For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. Galatians 3:26-27

Put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh in regard to its lusts.

No comments: