Saturday, April 27, 2013

Resurrection 101 - And There is No Queen of England!




So one day I hear a doorbell followed by a knock on the door. It’s still early and we are not expecting any visitors. Who could it be? I wonder, when more knocking ensues.

Knock, knock!  

Honey, somebody is at the door. My husband yells from the bathroom, having just finished his shower. Would you please open it? He is wrapped in a wet towel, and certainly not in the position to do the honors, possibly stunning our early-morning unsuspecting visitor with his dazzling great looks . 

I roll out of bed, put on the bathrobe over my pajamas and shuffle towards the door.  I fumble for a while, trying to get the key to open the wobbly  lock, curse under my breath, when the key finally clicks. I swing the door wide open and I blink a few times, blinded by the bright morning light.  As my eyes slowly adjust to the glare, the silhouette standing in front of me on our dusty doormat takes recognizable shape of … the  Queen of England!

Good morning.  How do you do? She smiles at me, from under her wide-brimmed hat, speaking with, of course, perfect British accent.  I wonder if this is some kind of a joke, but a look behind her onto our normally quiet street sends panic up and down my spine.  The street is swarming with security guards and long black limos, and flashing lights.  I open my mouth trying to say something… anything… but all I am capable of producing is a faint,

Eeer…. Eeeerrrr…

From behind, muffled by the rushing sound of blood pounding inside my head, I hear my husband’s voice,

Who’s there? I muster all my articulatory powers to answer his question, knowing full-well how it's going to sound to him:

El- Eli- Elizabeth… I mutter. The Queen.  I finally regained my voice, so I add an explanation. The Queen of England.  

He laughs outloud and responds with his best Titan impersonation:

"You're living a fantasy, there is no Easter bunny, there is no Tooth Fairy and there is no Queen of England."

He turns the corner separating the kitchen and the hallway, dressed in nothing but a wet towel, his dark hair still dripping, leaving a trail of water behind. 

No comments: