Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Resurrection 101 - Peter and the Debt of Discipleship



Peter rolls around the word of Jesus in his mouth, the gritty texture grinding at the remnants of his crumbling ideas of success, strength, sacrifice, service. The word is bitter… and it is sweet.

Love?

Feed.

My.

Sheep.

The sheep that will stray over and over again and do stupid things, you wouldn't believe if I told you. 

The sheep that will wear you out, exhaust you, drink you to the drags. 

The sheep that will keep you awake at night, and bring in the torrents of fears and tears and prayers you know nothing of yet. They will tempt you to throw in your towel, and go looking for better pastures with better shepherding material somewhere else.  They will push you to the limits of what you think you know of yourself, and then still further…

But when you find yourself hanging on the last thread of your rope, remember this, Simon. Remember that they don’t belong to you.  

They belong to Me. 

They are not yours.  

They are Mine.

I am the good shepherd who laid down His life for His sheep.  And I love them, just as I love you.  

So, you, Simon, show them… show them how I have loved you…

Simon, son of John, do…you… still... love… Me…MeMe?

Yes, Lord… you know… everything… You know that I love You.

There is still more, Simon.  For when you were young, you followed your own desires believing, sincerely believing you are following Me, serving Me.  But those days will come to an end. And when they do and all the youthful energies and passions and longings are done away with, you will be taken to a place where you do not wish to go.  Follow Me, there, Simon. And, I will meet you in that place.  I will be with you.  And you will know My love for you, Simon Peter.  And My love for them...

No comments: