Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Growth - Massacre on E Street




I feel quite energized by the clear attainable goal set out before me - a vast wilderness of our unkempt yard in desperate need of taming.  My hands clutching firmly the sputtering power mower between us. A horse ready to gallop.

Only a blind man would fail to see that what we have here is a mission and an objective. And doggonne it, I am ready to accomplish it.

Within minutes, the neglected lawn begins to take shape. Following close behind, the edger puts the finishing touches.  For a novice, I must say I am quite impressed with myself.  Seeing the instant results of my hard work is so refreshing and doubly rewarding.  I could get used to this. Despite the heat, despite the sweat, I want to keep going.

I am done in record-breaking time - the lawn mowed and edged, the bushes pruned, weeds pulled out of flowerbeds, and all concrete areas swept clean and spotless. It's quite a marvel to behold. I stepped back onto the street to get a better view as I admire my handiwork.

It may not be Better Homes and Gardens yard, but this sure is best I can do with what we have here.

Tired and deeply satisfied, I slowly walk towards the front door. As I turn the corner, on the freshly swept sidewalk next to our welcome mat, a grizzly image assaults all my senses.

In stark contrast to the clean, sun-bleached pavement there is a mutilated body of a small creature. Upon closer inspection, it turns out it's a little frog, all bloated in the heat of mid-day, with guts and blood spilling out of its butchered body, an ugly smear staining the concrete around it's disfigured shape.

No comments: