Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Growth - It's Not Complicated



The next morning the Gardener tells me he needs to go away for a few days. I feel panic rising inside. I have become so dependent on him, I don't think I can get out of bed, much less take care of the garden without his immediate presence.

He assures me it's not going to be for very long, he'll be back before I know it. If I just stick to the basics of what he's showed me, if I keep it simple, doing only what he's already told me to do, everything will be fine.

His words relieve my fears, and I try to encourage myself, It's not that complicated,  as I wave good-bye, watching his white truck drive away. Still I feel like the rubber garden glove that just bid good-bye to her right hand.

He hardly left, and I already miss him terribly. I unfurl the hose and drag it to the vegetable plot. Watching the water flow, cascading down the leaves makes me feel his presence as if he is right next to me.  Then I notice the tiny green ball-heads forming underneath the yellow flower caps of the tomato plants.  Never in my life have I seen fruit formed out of delicate flowers and the marvel and the mystery of the transformation captures my attention and my emotions. The sight of them cheers me up further.


In no time, they will be ripe, I think, the Gardener will be back and we'll celebrate over a large bowl of basil tomato salad sprinkled with feta cheese and toasted sourdough. 

I can do this, I feel self-confidence bubbling up inside. Just then I hear the phone ring. I drop the hose, race inside the house and pick up before the answering machine kicks in.

Good morning.  This is Mrs. Flowers from the Place Where Miracles Happen Every Day.  May I speak to...



No comments: