Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Grand Canyon or Bust






I leave Madame Tussauds-like ambiance of the Visitor Center deeply perturbed. 

Confused. 

In a state of disbelief.  

The slithery grip of the gospel of comfort and convenience follows after me and squeezes tight around my neck.

On the right, the parking lot where our car and escape from this hell is dancing in the fiery haze. 

The Parking Lot call is always the call of ease. Forget Grand Canyon. Forget adventure and glory and gut. 

The small wooden sign - Mather Point - on the left, points unambiguously in the direction of... uncertainty?!?

In this moment, for me, it's a no-brainer. There is one choice left, and one alone.

I must go and find out for myself. 

No shiny brochures. No Photoshop enhanced photos. No overdone marketing hearsay. No knowledge 'experts' regurgitating what they pecked out of books and manuals.  

Not even an IMAX movie inside a state-of-the-art air-conditioned theater will suffice now. 

I can't put it off anymore. 

True or false, live or die, I must meet the Grand Canyon face to face. 

No comments: