Friday, April 29, 2016

BTW, It's Good Friday






Today is Good Friday. No, really.  It feels awkward to even write these words when everyone around me has pretty much forgotten all about Easter.  In our fast paced world, it appears as if it was a century ago.

In my fast paced world it feels like it was a century ago!

Nevertheless, the Orthodox believers, and even some who don’t believe in anything yet but happen to belong to the eastern hemisphere, are remembering the death of Christ.  

A single event that altered human history forever.

A single event that has power and potential to alter a life trajectory of each and every individual that ever lived on this earth. To radically change how you and I see ourselves, God, and others this very moment, this very day.

This makes me scratch my head a little. 

I heard long time ago,

 If you were the only person on Earth, Christ would still both want and need to die for you.

I want to object.

How’s it possible that both Mother Theresa and Hitler need a savior??!! How can it be that both Ghandi and you and I are equally desperate for Somebody to get us out of the mess we are in? Both judge and the defendant. The referee and the returner. POTUS and Putin as much as the Pope and your pastor?

Each of us has a fatal flaw.  You know what it is. And so do I. But, we hide it. We make sure nobody sees it. It can be cleverly disguised as strength.  It can be a whitewashed weakness. Try as hard as we may, we can’t make up for it with money, looks, education, reputation, mission trips, church retreats, endless religious activities, busyness. It doesn’t matter where you were born, or when, nor where do you live, whether you are poor or rich, smart or stupid.  All our credentials, our resumes, the applause we received and the accolades, all of it and more falls like chaff before crucified Christ.

This thought is tremendously humbling and tremendously liberating.

I can never be enough – good enough, smart enough, hard-working enough, fill-in-the-blankety- blank enough… Nor can you.  
 
None of us are! Not one.       

So, I don’t have to pretend, put on a show, act like I have it all together. And neither do you. 

I need this reminder, even if the rest of the world has gone off on their merry busy way.


It rolls a huge burden off my shoulder.  And I hope it does the same for you too. 

No comments: