Friday, May 15, 2015

Sir, We Got the Visual!






Few weeks ago, after reading the One Size Doesn’t Fit All post, my friend Susan who not only reads but actually ponders what is written, sends me a private message with the following question:

What does a butt-naked soul look like?

Hmmm....I frown. I didn’t really think about it, I want to say, but I am embarrassed to admit it.

This happens to me a lot.  First I write.  Then, I think. Especially when prompted by my thoughtful friends’ questions.

What DOES a butt-naked soul look like?? I ask myself, and immediately a few images pop inside my head. 

An un-named orchestra conductor’s dress pants that split wide open from behind at the peak of an extraordinary performance (true story told by the un-named conductor!)…

The row of overgrown azalea bushes pruned way back, their lush foliage skirt stripped off, revealing their bare gnarly skinny legs and shockingly hollow interior…

The high-school principal during the awards night…

My reel goes on, revealing mostly painfully embarrassing images of inadvertent exposure – visual and verbal - soliciting a horrified gasp from unsuspecting audiences.  All my images imply deep humiliation and strong desire to hide what was exposed. 

To cover up the rip in the pants. 

The operating word - something we all are all too familiar with - shame.

Several Bible verses that speak on the subject of shame, nakedness and such also pop inside my head, and now I am getting really excited to share my brilliant findings with my thoughtful friend. I didn't realize I was being profound without even trying! 

Just as I am about to pounce on the Instant Messenger, something stops me in my tracks.  

Something pulls on me to hooooold my horses.

Something reminds me of my old old Communications 101 professor, his life-time nicotine-addiction burnished voice trailing across the ocean, across the decades - even centuries! - still strong, still admonishing us, the young, bright know-it-alls that it is far better to answer a question, not by unleashing a horde of prancing answers, but… by… 

...asking… 

...another... 

...question.

No comments: