Tuesday, August 12, 2014

From Beggar to Giver





Jesus doesn’t bite the bait. He doesn’t go into politics.  He doesn’t go into the us-vs.-them debate that proves to nobody in particular who’s-right-and-who’s wrong.  He doesn’t get entangled in the centuries-old battles that feed the mucky pool of today’s fears and prejudices and hatred.

Because He knows - He understands - that there is deeper hunger, deeper thirst that no well of this earth can satisfy.

So, He answers that question, the real question. The unspoken cry-question of the unquenchable thirst of the woman’s heart made evident by her empty life-bucket:

If you knew the gift of God…

If you knew who it is who says to you,

‘Give Me a drink’,

You would have asked Him,

And He would have given you

…Living water. John 4:10

Suddenly, the One asking becomes the One offering. 

The beggar becomes the Giver.

If only we knew… the gift… of God…

If only we knew WHO it is who says to us…

‘Give me a drink…’


If only we knew that it’s O.K. to come…

That our thirst is meant to draw us to come…

Empty-handed and brokenhearted…

With our useless buckets upturned…
 
To come…

…To Him..

And ask…

I am thirsty.

I am hungry for love.

I am desperate to be known and loved…

I am at the end of the rope…

All my wells are dried up…

And my heart is parched and unquenchably thirsty…


I am at the end of this fraying rope of my fraying life…

No comments: