Friday, March 28, 2014

Plans Would Be Perfect If It Weren't For the People





It’s just minutes before the race is supposed to begin and there is a bag of popcorn inside the mouth of our Child #1, and our suddenly energized Child #2 is bouncing barefoot inside the bounce-house surrounded by a flock of bouncing toddlers.

C’mon guys! We have to START the race, if we are ever going to FINISH it. I grumble, my children’s lack of focus and abject distractibility unwelcome mirror of my own.  And no, you can’t run in the race barefoot. You HAVE TO put your shoes.

 I am a mean mother and I know it.

I watch in horror as Child #1 picks up a half a dozen bags of popcorn and an equivalent of a gallon of water, with a clear intention of bringing them along.  This is the child that likes to be prepared for every eventuality.

Absolutely no popcorn and no dragging a barrel of water with you. If you need water, they will have disposable cups along the way. You are not going to die of either hunger or thirst. We’ll have the BBQ at the end.  I add compassionately, wondering where I went wrong in all my years of parenting. 

Finally making it to the START line, socks and shoes on, popcorn bags discarded, we catch the last few chords of national anthem. 

And then, we are on! 

We don’t want to get trampled by the 5k buffs averaging a mile in 72 seconds, so we hold back and  let the real runners go ahead of us.  We stick somewhat together for the first 30 feet. 


From there on, it’s one steady unraveling after another. 

No comments: