Thursday, October 18, 2012

Who Placed The Bible on the Chopping Block?



The sobbing eventually subsided and the tears dried up. The New Testament was still on the small fold-out shelf under the dirty window where I placed it when I first entered the compartment.  I picked it up and started flipping through its pages unsure where I should start. 

My freshmen year of Comparative Literature studies, I was required to read some portions of the Bible, and even write papers about it, but, as somebody once pointed out, I was reading other people’s mail.  I couldn't make sense of it at all. I was quick to dismiss the text as implausible, irrelevant and full of contradictions – a disjointed concoction of colossal nonsense that had absolutely no bearing on my life.  I was like a self-appointed editor-in-chief, wearing a critic’s hat, question-marking, underlining and crossing out with bright red pen everything in the Bible that didn't make sense to me. The chopping block was mine, and so was the hatchet. Having completed my school assignments, I thought I had given appropriate attention to the ancient book and was ready to move on to more pertinent subjects available on the current global idea market, bustling with fresh energy and excitement.  

You can’t read the Bible like that! My Jesus-friends used to object when I shared my previous experience with God's written word.  If every time you found something in the Bible you disagree with, consider far-fetched, stupid or impossible to believe, you ripped that page out, by the end of the year you would be left with the covers only, nothing in between. This is God’s living Word. You must ask Him to speak to you through what is written and help You understand it so it can transform your life.

Their passionate dedication to the integrity of the Word of God in its entirety took me completely by surprise.  I've never seen anybody so wholeheartedly devoted to this old book and every word written in it. Even if I didn't necessarily agree with them, I couldn't help but respect such loyalty.

But now, instead of judging and editing out the content of Word of God according to my likes and dislikes, I was ready, even eager to listen.  I couldn't wait to discover more of what was written inside this book, for now I recognized it for what it was - God’s love letter addressed personally to me! There was so much to learn, so much to understand.  Best of all, His Spirit was with me – in me! - to breathe in fresh life into the ancient words. The words of incredible promises, the words of instruction, the words of correction... 

As hope swelled up inside my heart, the sliding glass door to the compartment opened, and a man stuck his head in,

May I please join you?

No comments: