Tuesday, October 16, 2012

I’m Diving In


It was not completely unlike going deep sea diving. You stand on the shore, or even on the edge of a boat, and wait, and debate, and hesitate.  And talk and talk, all night long until the pale light washes the eastern horizon, and shake your head ‘NO’ – as if you could stop the Sun from rising, and argue about the surf and the water temperature, the sea life underneath and the topography of the ocean floor, the tide and the Moon, but your feet remain dry as well as the top of your head, and everything in between.  You can talk as long as you want, but unless you take a plunge, you really don’t know what you are talking about.  You never experience - never know - the ocean.

Waking up that afternoon felt like finally jumping off the boat, and diving in and getting back to the surface, and splashing in the shallows of the unfathomable ocean of God’s love and mercy revealed, contained in the human vessel of His beloved Son Jesus.  .   

Aaaaah… THIS is what they’ve been talking about all along, I think, savoring this strange universe I’d fallen into, on one hand, kicking and screaming like a toddler ripped off the monkey bars of this world’s playground; on the other, fully and without reservation, mainly because there was nothing else left to hold onto anymore.

It’s Dorothy meets Alice meets Lucy right outside the back of the Wardrobe leading into Narnia.

I have a vague inkling that this might be just the first step in a lifetime of adventures ahead.  But, I am too amazed by the reality of being personally known, and loved, and accepted by Christ, and the possibility of knowing Him and loving Him back to pay much attention to what lies ahead.  For right now, all I need to know is that He is enough – much more than enough – and I can’t believe what a lucky fool I am to have Him in my life. 


It is a trustworthy statement, deserving full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, among whom I am foremost of all. Yet for this reason I found mercy, so that in me as the foremost, Jesus Christ might demonstrate His perfect patience as an example for those who would believe in Him for eternal life. I Timothy 1:15,16

No comments: