Friday, August 22, 2014

Fear Of Missing Out





Recently I was on a plane sitting next to a woman who was describing the dizzying array of her globe trotting adventures. She had a long list of must-see places that she was in the process of checking off.  I caught her on her way from Machu Picchu to her home in Georgia, with the next day flight to a resort in Mexico. 

And she was already talking about the great pyramids of Giza and Sydney Opera House.

It was truly impressive. I marveled at her energy, because I was getting exhausted by simply listening to her. 

Then, without even knowing where it came from, I blurted before I could stop myself…

I think I might have been trying to find a connection in my own life to her quite un-relatable experiences…

Or, I might have just been bragging about the newly acquired addition to my urban dictionary.

Have you heard of FOMO? I said and immediately wanted to kick myself in the teeth.  But, I stuck my foot in my mouth and it was too late to take it out. What was I going to say, Never mind?, and switch the topic to weather?

No,  the young woman replied, not quite sure where this conversation is going.

Well...   I proceeded slowly, it’s like an all-you-can-eat buffet.  I always  feel like I have to try every dish set out, fearing I may miss an opportunity to experience an exquisite combination of flavors and textures… even after I am not even hungry anymore… even if  I am already quite full…I just have to try it…even if it makes me miserable later… It’s FOMO… Fear Of Missing Out.

At that point, I stomp on my own foot,

You idiot! Just shut up!

I look up, knowing for certain that I have offended the young woman and her quiet husband sitting across the isle from us, listening in on our conversation.

But her big brown eyes are wide open, ablaze with recognition.

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about!

I glance at her husband and he is nodding gratefully.

The woman adds sheepishly,

It’s kind of what I am doing with all this travelling… I am afraid I will miss out on something incredible, and important, and I feel like I have to see all, and nothing is ever quite enough…her voice trails off. Then she looks at me,

What about you? What's your FOMO? What are you afraid that you would miss out on?



Everyone who drinks of this water will thirst again…

No comments: