Saturday, August 23, 2014

Got Thirst?







Our thirst is meant to take us to a place where we can’t get to on our own.   

I can’t manufacture the wholeness and satisfaction in and by myself.  You can’t manufacture it by yourself.  I can’t do it for you. You can’t do it for me. Much disappointment, anger and resentment in this world would be lessened if not eradicated if only we grasped this and released ourselves and each other from such impossible responsibility.

When we try to quench it on our own, it only intensifies the craving.

Everyone who drinks of this water will thirst again and again… but…

Sometimes it takes an entire lifetime to get to this ‘but’.

…but
 anyone
who drinks of the water that
I will give him
shall never thirst;
but the water that
I will give him
will become
 in him
 a well of water
springing up to eternal life.  John 4:13-14

If there ever was a paradigm shift, it’s right here.

These kinds of statements got Jesus in trouble. And it’s these kinds of statements represent a door of hope for all the thirsty souls who have tried everything and feel like they are at the end of the rope, hanging by the last loose thread.

I can't imagine any person, living or dead, making such claim and being taken seriously.

Anyone?

Never thirsty?

Become IN him (or her!) a well…

Bursting forth

Into life…

And more life..?

Yeah, right!

But, something about Jesus, something about the person who spoke these words and the way He said them made Svetlana take Him seriously. And if taken seriously, only a fool would turn down such an offer.

Svetlana may be all kinds of things, but she certainly is not a fool.


Sir, give me this water so I won’t ever get thirsty, won’t ever have to come back to this well again!

No comments: