Saturday, June 22, 2013

The Hard Work of Resting




I am not a waiter, sir. I am a DOER!

I know that… that’s why I am here… to give you rest….

Rest?!!! I humph, now seriously wondering which planet did He come from.  Last time I rested was when I broke my leg in fifth grade…

If that’s what it takes… I detect mischief in his voice and take one step back. He laughs, picking up on my precautionary motion.

I am not going to do it unless absolutely necessary.

I look at him unsure whether he is serious or just messing with me.

I've never met anybody so dead serious about this resting business.

Yep, I learned that from my dad. It’s a very high value to him.

So, what’s so important about being a couch potato?

He again shakes his head in that now familiar even-though-she-gives-every-evidence-about-being-a-hopeless-case-I-know-she-is-not way.

It’s not about being a couch potato, or a slug, or a lazy bum, or whatever else you might label it… Rest is so much more than absence of activity, especially physical activity. You can sit on your bottom all day long and still have no rest in your mind and no rest for your soul…

O, I know exactly what you mean!

The rest... the rest I am talking about…he continues softly,  it fills your mind, and washes over your heart and soul... and refreshes your body.


Oh, sir – I WANT that rest!



Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light. Matthew 11:28-30

No comments: