Monday, April 29, 2013

Resurrection 101 - Does the Queen Like Pizza?




‘It would give me a great pleasure’, she said, I repeat the Queen’s words after I have closed the door behind me. Suddenly, I feel dizzy and quite overwhelmed. 

The Queen knows our name! She knows where we live… and… and she wants to have supper with us, I announce to my husband who has just reappeared from the bedroom, dressed more appropriately in the formal bathrobe attire. We actually match... perfectly. 

You mean ‘dinner’? The Queen wants to eat with us?!!! Wow! I knew it!  I knew sooner or later  the European Debt Crisis is going to affect the UK, but I had no idea that the monarchy is hurting this much!

I look at him, not quite sure whether he is being facetious or dead serious. I choose the middle road to avoid another flare-up of argument while the Queen of England is standing on the other side of our front door. 

This is not about the European economy and the Queen needing a handout from us! It’s… it’s like… She said, ‘It would give me great pleasure to have supper with your family.’ It sounded like… like she wanted to hang out with us… get to know us and let us get to know her… as she really is… not the way the tabloids portray her, or movies or books portray her… or even what we project onto her from our own ideas about who she is.  I think she wants us to get to know her the way she really is... the way her close her friends know her…

That's cool! In that case, what are we waiting for?!!! Open the door! Invite her in! He suddenly pauses, as if he just remembered something very important.  He frowns and asks, not necessarily expecting an answer from me, since Sunday night's dinner is his responsibility:

What are we having for dinner tonight?I wonder if the Queen of England likes to eat Papa John's pizza?

No comments: