Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Resurrection 101 - Thomas the Doubter



Thomas missed the boat.

When Jesus appeared to the disciples they were all together. Everyone, that is, except for Thomas. Consequently, when they all were bubbling with the excitement and wonder of the incredible turn of events, Thomas wasn’t buying it.  

Name an exciting gathering of a group of enthusiastic believers, and one can count on a latecomer, a skeptic, a cynic in their midst.  I’ve been the one more than once.  

Unless I see in His hands the imprint of the nails, and put my finger into the place for the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe. John 20:25

Oh, Thomas! Do you realize what you are asking for?!!!

Oh, Thomas! You blunt, honest fool, speaking forth on behalf of all of us, unbelieving doubters, who will come after you!

Unless I see… Unless I touch…I will not believe.

Like Thomas, I, too, need more than empty emotionality…

I need more than human naivety, and wishful thinking, and mind games and illusions...

I need something solid.  A rock- solid place where I can stake my life upon.

A place that would hold me when the world around me falls apart.

A place that would hold me when the world inside me crumbles.

A place inside the imprints for the nails on His hands….?

Into His side where the spear went through?

Of course, I don’t realize what I am asking for. Nobody ever does. 

Eight days later, Jesus shows up and says to Thomas:
Reach here with your finger, and see My hands; and reach here your hand and put it into My side; and do not be unbelieving, but believing.

Put your finger here…where the nails used to be…Put your hand here… where the spear pierced My side and the water and blood gushed out…It’s the only place, the only solid place to stake your life upon…


No comments: