Thursday, April 05, 2012

A Speeding Ticket that Yields Eternal Dividends

So, how many times do I need to slam into a wall before I start slowing down?

Calculations based on my daily average would predict more times than you can count.

But, eventually, even the undersigned recognizes that this is not working so well for her and her family.

It may also take one outraged policeman, flailing frantically in the middle of the road and $150 slap on my wallet to notice those SPEED LIMIT signs along the side of the road. Funny how I always thought that they were posted there just as suggestions observed mostly by partially incapacitated and/or elderly drivers. For it’s really up to me to determine the most appropriate driving speed for my vehicle based on how late I am running for my next appointment.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I must admit here that I had considered disputing my speeding ticket even though I had announced many times that I would never do that since I have been speeding so much all my life without ever getting caught.

Of course, the moment I get caught my human nature kicks in and wants to argue, dispute and protest the consequences and summon every lawyer who would help me find more excuses to prove my ‘innocence’. I am a mother of two young children - I am good at telling people what they should do! I am certainly not a reckless driver. Didn't you see that inconsiderate jerks yakety-yak-yaking on their cell phones while driving - they are the real road hazard!

Now, even though such ‘interferences’ with my running my own life can be quite painful, I think the lesson is worth every penny of those $150 speeding fine. Perhaps what I really need to do is write a ‘thank you’ note to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. And while we are at it, maybe God won't need to use the megaphone as much in His attempts to get my attention.

Could we turn down the volume please?

No comments: